Diversity and Inclusion Resources
June 9, 2020
We stand in solidarity with our campus partners to support African-American and Black community members. Our community is mourning and in pain from racial trauma. Black Lives Matter.
The spirit of "The Little Book of Racial Healing: Coming to the Table for Truth-Telling, Liberation, and Transformation" encourages sitting together to explore truths. As connections are strengthened, a deepening awareness and recognition of blindspots of racism, implicit bias, microagressions, and discrimination can follow.
In order to address institutionalized racism and institutionalized discrimination, safe spaces allow for sharing and listening, which enable learning of different experiences and commonalities, and community-building. From these connections come resilience and the process of post-traumatic growth.
While coordinated efforts enable all to be involved in the growth process, recognizing pain allows for constructive action to ensue and comes from our innate ability to listen. As we listen and choose steps that match our core values, we have potential to heal deep pain. There are countless resources to work towards greater understanding; the following are but a few.
The veterinary community's strength of compassion is a solid foundation for acting from spaces of openness, curiosity, and dialogue.
- AAVMC Diversity and Inclusion Resources
- Advancing Inclusion Through Human-Centered Veterinary Medicine - Certificate Programs (Purdue University)
- AVMA stands with the black community
- Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High
- Detox Local: An extensive list of mental health and substance use resources specifically for the AAPI (American Asian and Pacific Islander) community.
- Dr. Candice Nicole: Black Lives Matter Meditations
- Live Another Day - Extensive information on mental health and substance use resources for people of color. Their mission is equal access to life-saving resources. They have guides for black, Latinx, Asian, and native people.
- Project Implicit (Harvard University)
- Racial Equity Tools
- Racialized Trauma Home-Study Course
- Smithsonian National Museum of African American History & Culture: Talking About Race
- The Little Book of Racial Healing: Coming to the Table for Truth-Telling, Liberation, and Transformation by Thomas Norman DeWolf and Jodie Geddes
- VitalSmarts: Healthy Conversations on Racial Equality Start With Clear Intentions
- VitalSmarts: How to Speak Up and Root Out Unconscious Bias
- VitalSmarts: How to Respond to Racism in the Workplace
For VMCVM Veterinary Teaching Hospital Community, see Veterinary Social Work Intranet for additional resources.